Monday, May 21, 2012

Monkeying Around

A few weeks ago I was super pumped to receive another request for a custom item. A friend of mine is expecting her firstborn in a few months, and being super organized, she was already planning ahead for Thank You notes for her baby shower.

Her brief - she is keeping things neutral since they don't know the sex of the baby, and they are planning a beige, brown, olive green, monkey themed room for their little one. She wanted a Thank You card that was like a postcard.

Since all my Etsy items are Print-at-Home digital designs, I wondered how easy it would be to create a two-sided design that could be easily printed at home.

Before I could figure that out, I first had to create my monkeys. I do a little research online for images, then sketch out my idea before getting started in Photoshop creating my designs. 

Isn't he cute?
I used this basic shape and tweaked a few things to make a daddy, mommy and baby monkey. I usually let my ideas marinate in my head for a while before trying anything out in Photoshop - otherwise I get distracted by trying out new techniques and lose track of the task at hand. 

So when I opened up Photoshop I knew I was aiming for a 4" x 6" postcard with two sides. The front being an image of the monkey family peeking over a fence saying, "Thank You" and the back as a basic postcard with a space for a stamp and address, a thank you message on the other side and room for a personal message. 

For some reason I thought an argyle pattern would match just perfectly with a jungle/tropical feel. It kind of balances it a little and has a bit of "preppy meets rustic" feeling to it. What do you think?
The front of the card - with a "jungle-y" font. 

Back of the card with a custom message from the client.
As for how the printing would go - I left the back without a border so that if the printer was not spot on it would still print basically in the middle of the card. The client received a PDF with 2 pages with the front and back lined up to print two copies at a time. Here's what the client said about the printing process:

 It printed perfectly. My printer rolls the paper over and prints on the back so thankfully I realized that as I was putting in the paper so I had to put the printed side up. But It is perfectly aligned and looks great when I cut them out.

This item is available for purchase on Etsy

I also have plans for my Monkey Line so will be working on some more items with this theme.


3 comments:

  1. Super cute!! Love the monkeys!! Following you from the blogging buddies on etsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taara, I joined the Graphic Designers team at Etsy today since I just established a new shop there and saw your post about your facebook page. I'm also trying to get to know more designers like me out there and decided to check out your blog.

    Like you, I have been designing and working with photoshop for years and finally decided to try to make this hobby a full time job. I have created a website, a blog, a facebook page and now an Etsy shop.

    The interesting thing I found is that you mentioned you are living in Brazil and I am originally from there, lol. I was born and grew up in Rio but I have been living in Pittsburgh for almost 20 years now. What are the odds?

    Anyway, I really like your designs and just thought I would stop by to say 'hi'.

    "Beijos", Lucia
    blog.lucintra.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/LuCintra

    ReplyDelete